New Member Process:
- Potential new member observes for a couple of weeks to see what we really do, and to see if they are really interested. During this period, the potential new member should review documents provided by the board in order to develop an understanding of what is expected of an Pajarito Canine SAR member. Details of Provisional and Full membership are specified in the Pajarito Canine SAR Bylaws.
- If interested, the potential new member solicits two current members to sign his/ her application form.
- Application is submitted to the Board. The Board will hold this application and not act on it until they form an opinion about the applicant, their real interest, and their compatibility with the team. The applicant is required to attend at least 10 practices during the next two month period. During this evaluation period the applicant will work without his or her dog. The applicant is encouraged to bring his or her dog to practices for socialization purposes during this evaluation period. The dog should be kept in the applicant's vehicle till the completion of practice, at which time the dog may be brought out for socialization with other dogs and handlers. The dog should be kept under strict control during these socialization periods.
- During the evaluation period the applicant is encouraged to interact with other members of the team. They are encouraged to request practice tracks outside of these times from current team members.
- At the completion of the evaluation period the Board will vote on the application. If successful, the applicant is a Provisional Member.
- After a few months, when the Board feels there is sufficient information available (possibly 4-6 months), the Board will meet to vote to advance the candidate to Full Membership.
- For those who are joining the team as support persons only (have no intention of training a dog), the guidelines are modified. Steps 1 and 2 apply, but after the Board has accepted the application, the evaluation period consists of attending five practices in a two month period. After the evaluation period, the Board will vote on whether or not to accept the applicant as a Provisional member. After the applicant has successfully completed the Support Person requirements of the MRE, the Board will vote on whether or not to accept him/her as a Full member.